I meet a lot of people who want to know how to write and publish children’s books.
I tell everyone the same thing:
- Begin with SCBWI. The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators is a great trusted resource for new as well as experienced writers. Click on their Just Getting Started tab. It contains everything I could possibly tell you and more.
- Get yourself an updated copy of Children’s Writers and Illustrators Market, available at most book stores. There is also an online resource.
- Subscribe to the Publisher’s Weekly newsletter Children’s Bookshelf for industry news and trends.
- I also like Harold Underdown’s site for children’s writing resources and industry updates.
- If you are an illustrator or interested in writing picture books, Writing with Pictures: How to Write and Illustrate Children’s Books by Uri Shulevitz and Picture This: How Pictures Work by Molly Bang are priceless.
- For any kind of writing, the blog Writers Write out of New Zealand has all kinds of gems.